Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Hip Gnosis

Do and learn. The hip and waist proved to be not only very heavy but also out of proportion. Looking back, this happened because I scaled the entire original schematic to simply make it taller without really thinking through the proportion of the individual body parts.


So, here I go again. I redesigned both hip and waist and decided to use pine wood instead cutting the overall weight considerably by almost 300 g. My servos will thank me!


Since I was going to start from a wood block this time, I was able to drill the holes in a more controlled fashion, sort of, because some of them traversed the block at extreme angles. But overall this fact alone made the parts fit better. Molding the parts with Apoxy was fun and quite easy and fast, but not the right solution in this case.


Here you can see the difference in size and weight, of the old and new hip-waist combo. Of course the scale change rippled through the entire puppet since I had to also modify the torso and the legs. I know I must do the same with the arms, which I am putting on hold for now because the wood is so amazingly hard. But it will happen.

No comments: